Research : Rick Rubin

“Rick Rubin is often described as favoring a stripped-down sound.  Many of his most notable records emphasize performance and live authenticity, seeking to recreate the feel of an artist playing for you in your own living room. They avoid excessively dense arrangements and effects like reverb”

“we see how this is not a rigid production doctrine that Rubin imposes on the artists with whom he works; rather, he is usually adaptive to their artistic visions and helpful to bring out their distinctive styles.”

These are two very powerful quotes I have obtained from the journal Reduced By Rick Rubin: Production Process, Pitfalls, and Impacts by Jared Paul) and I believe they describe the aesthetic and workflow of a Rick Rubin record.Looking in particular at the first quote I have tried to emulate this production style on the track “Rage”, I have used minimal reverb and have tried to capture the energy of the artist.

This post relates to learning outcome 2

References

Reduced By Rick Rubin: Production Process, Pitfalls, and Impacts by Jared Paul

Available at http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.496.2436&rep=rep1&type=pdf